The problems in Mexico with insects and damping off in different crops is being more difficult to control them every day, these pests can be provoking important losses in crops because they are acquiring resistant to the pesticides.
The agrochemicals products contaminate a lot of in the agriculture, and the biological products produced by the big enterprises usually are expensive in my country, for that, I want to produce different kind of fungus in rice, like: Trichoderma spp by control of Damping off, Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae by control of Coleoptera and Lepidoptera larvaes, Lecanicillium lecani by control of Thrips, Whitefly and Aphids and Paecilomyces lilacinus by nematodes; this form to produce their in rice, is cheaper, but requires an inversion for buy the strains, the medium agar-agar to preservation the strains, heaters, labs material, etc. With this I pretend to introduce in my region the use of biological control and demonstrate that the microorganisms are effective in the crop protection.
This will be a major opportunity by the farmer to produce healthier, cheaper and carefully. Because of natural form these microorganisms are in the field, but in lower levels, then, with the introduction of them in high levels we can provide preventive control.
For this project, first I pretend to establish de laboratory in a little room of my house. With the developments of it, I can offer work in my little town. This is so important for me because my family are farmers and I know the damage of use the agrochemicals. I don’t want already continue using a lot of this products. My passion is to determine with concern for the environment. I always try to do different personal and professional actions like Agricultural parasitologist to be friendly with the nature.
In this project there are some important steps.
- Investigation about different kind of mediums to isolate the fungus and the required climatic to their growth.
- Search for suppliers of rice, polipapel bags or container plastics, and aseptic material for the optimal growth of fungi.
- Equipment of laboratory with stoves, pressure cooker, flasks, test tubes, markers, staplers, heater, etc.
- This step is divide in two
- If it is possible, try to isolate the fungus to the natural area, because this would ensure a better adaptation of the strains in the field
- If it isn’t possible to isolate, it will be necessary to buy the strains in my University
- Reproduction massive of fungus in medium
- Follow the protocol to inoculate the fungus in rice and put them in the acclimate zone
- Introduction of fungus in the field and in the greenhouses
The result of the proposed work would be establishing the use of this fungus for preventive control in tomato, avocado, peach, chili, etc. in my region and demonstrate that the use of them increases crop yields and reduces the production costs.
I know that this is hard, but I have the motivation and knowledge to start and I think that this is so important for doing the things that we want.
Luis Fernando Esquivel Cervantes, Mexico