How often do you think about your food? Do you ever wonder where it comes from and who is responsible for producing it?
People living in industrialized countries tend to take food for granted when they see it on supermarket shelves, thinking that it’s available in abundance and will be there filling shelves tomorrow, in six months, in 20 years.
All it takes is a short internet trip for reality to kick in. Agriculture and the food industry face tremendous challenges, having to feed a population expected to grow from 7 to 10 billion by 2050 while at the same time conserving the planet’s precious and scarce natural resources. To add to this, the farmers producing our food are growing older (average age ~60 years) and young people’s interest and participation in farming and agriculture has declined.
We are starting a challenge on social on media with the hashtag #protectme_challenge to raise awareness about the challenges agriculture is facing and educate everyone and particularly young students, about the importance of sustainable agriculture and the need for more people to get involved. Our attempt is aligned with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goal: Zero Hunger.
BE PART OF OUR CROP PROTECTION CHALLENGE!!!!!!
To take part in the challenge:
- Post a funny selfie with a vegetable/fruit, be creative!
- Use the following hashtags and tags!! #protectme_challenge #SDG2 #foodprotection #zerohunger @SDGs @croplifeintl @WHYFarmit
- Tag 3 friends and challenge them to re-post these instructions in the next 24 hours!
OR donate to WHYfarm: http://whyfarmit.org Your contribution counts!
WHYFarm (We Help You-th Farm) is an NGO with a global outreach, dedicated to educating youth and children about the importance of sustainable agriculture by comics, cartoons and other forms of entertainment, with an aim to transform agriculture into AgriCOOLture! They created the first Food Security superhero, AGRIman, who is on a quest to ‘grow future feeders from the ground up’!
Everyone can help raising awareness!!!!! Have fun tagging!!!!!!
Along with the challenge we will be releasing a comic strips series featuring #CropMan, our own crop protection superhero tackling current agricultural challenges in black and white so stay tuned by following our pages!
We need innovations in agriculture which will only come with more engagement. It’s time to take our future into our hands and discover today how to solve tomorrow’s challenges. Spread the word with a selfie!
Who we are: A group of young scientists who came together during the IUPAC Next Generation Programme (Ghent, 2019) under the name REdY (Researchers Educating Youth); our aim is to educate young students about the importance of sustainable agriculture and crop protection through a series of comic strips and a social media awareness campaign. We want to let them know how we and the world should be taking action for ensuring food security by promoting UN’s Sustainable Goal 2: Zero Hunger.
You can find us on:
If you want to learn more about the challenges of agriculture, we have included some links:
- Population growth: https://www.un.org/development/desa/publications/world-population-prospects-the-2017-revision.html
- Smallholder farmers produce most of our food: http://www.fao.org/publications/sofa/2014/en/
- Food production needs to increase: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg2
- Crop protection responsible for 1/3 of produced yield: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-agricultural-science/article/crop-losses-to-pests/AD61661AD6D503577B3E73F2787FE7B2
- Aging farmers and youth disinterest: https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2014/feb/04/global-food-security-old-age-timebomb